There’s one basic good practice that many who are looking to make a career move often miss. In this episode we talk about how to catch it before this becomes an issue for you and a quick way to resolve it.
Highlights of Episode 62
- The role of your Big Picture in your career move
- Why you’d want to start your career move by understanding your long-term vision or Big Picture
- What happens when you don’t have a clearly defined Big Picture
- Why it’s difficult to find the words to describe your vision
- What to do if defining a Big Picture is a challenge for you
• • •
Whenever someone tells me they are thinking about making some kind of a career move — a career pivot or a career change — one of the first questions I ask is how the career move fits in the overall scheme. How it aligns with their Big Picture.
Too often, I’m met with silence, followed by lots of uhms and aaahs. I can usually tell when someone is only just then trying to figure out the answer. When they haven’t considered their long-term goals and have been focused on the immediate next steps. Or when they haven’t found the words to describe what they really want.
In my experience, the most successful career moves are those that are tied to a long-term career vision — a desired future that you have thought about, understood and fleshed out.
In this episode, I expand on why articulating your long-term vision is effective and a good practice to start off your career move, what happens when you don’t have a Big Picture, and what to do if developing one is a challenge for you.
Subscribe to Second Breaks
or search for “second breaks” wherever you listen to podcasts.