Why you want to listen to this episode
The word coaching (also, life coaching, career coaching) is something we hear more often these days than say, 10-15 years ago.
In the past, coaching meant performance coaching, usually something you’ll get from your boss at work. It could also mean executive coaching, typically a service that employers paid for and provided for their high-performing staff.
While those coaching arrangements remain, nowadays, coaching is much more accessible—both in terms of cost and availability. More people are getting the benefits of coaching. And more people are saying that they are coaches.
But what is coaching really about? What do you get from a coach? And how do you know if you’re ripe for coaching?
My guest this week is Tajan Renderos, a certified coach, speaker, and trainer with years of experience in life and career coaching and youth leadership development.
The coach is a catalyst to a process that may happen on its own, but you may spin your wheels in mud for years. You may work with a coach for a few months and take quantum leaps. A coach is the fire under the pot that is speeding up a process that naturally wants to happen anyway. —Tajan Renderos
In this episode, Tajan and I talk about what coaching is and how it is different from talk therapy, why coaching is actually something we are quite familiar with, and how to find out if you are ready for coaching.
If you happen to be thinking that you might want to become a life coach yourself, Tajan also shares how she became a coach and the training that you may need to pursue this field of work.
Everybody needs someone who’s holding their agenda in a unique way. In an objective way that a friend can’t. And sometimes, even they can’t.” —Tajan Renderos
Topics discussed in Episode 29
- What is coaching and how is it different from talk therapy
- Why and when you might need a coach
- How to find out if you’re ready for coaching
- How much time you should invest in a coaching relationship
- What’s missing from traditional career assessments
- Tajan’s recommended 3 steps for figuring out your calling
- Why removing ourselves from the daily grind is an important step in a transformational process
Mentioned in this episode
Resources from Second Breaks
Thank you for listening
Don’t forget to:
- Subscribe to SBP on iTunes or Google Play.
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your rating and review help me reach the people who could benefit the most from this podcast.