One of the most challenging things to do in our careers is to transition away from an established path toward a long-held passion. It’s the kind of career move that creates all kinds of angst and second-guessing. But there are things you can do to minimize the stress hives and maximize the fulfilling part of the experience.
Paivi Eerola had spent her entire life studying and working in IT. With a Master’s Degree in Computer Engineering, she spent her first professional years teaching other IT professionals.
After a while, she moved to programming and later, to project management of large-scale IT integrations, and then to selling enterprise level IT solutions. And as if all that wasn’t enough, she also went back to school to acquire a second degree in Industrial Design.
But Paivi’s first love was art. Growing up in a small town in eastern Finland, she learned to draw as a child to while away the long quiet days. And although her IT career took off taking her to other directions, she longed to do something creative where she could connect with her rich inner world and imagination.
In this episode, Paivi shares how her transition from an IT career back to Art happened.
Highlights of Episode 47
- The real reason why Paivi Eerola went back to school to study Industrial Design
- How blogging—and specifically sharing her early drawings—helped her find and understand her audience
- How her engineering background guided her approach to her art work and helped her identify a product that became an early source of passive income
- The surprising lesson she learned about herself from these transitions and why she considers it a gift
- Why revisiting a book you liked as a kid can help you reconnect with your imagination and your view of the future
How to Build a Resilient Career in Rapidly Changing Times
Mentioned in this episode
Please leave a review
Reviews are hugely important because they help new people discover this podcast. If you enjoyed listening to this episode, please leave a review on iTunes. Here’s how.