What does it take to intentionally move away from a 20-year career and professional identity and build a new career from the ground up?
Highlights of Episode 78:
- Why Martha Keith decided to change careers
- The challenges she struggled with as she made the intentional decision to change course
- What it means to veer away from one professional identity and build a new one
- The different reactions and responses to her career change; what matters and what doesn’t
- The most important thing she learned about herself through the transformation
• • •
I love hearing career journey stories, understanding the different reasons people make a move and how they made it happen.
But one kind of career change story I really love digging into is when someone makes a deliberate change of course out of evolution and growing into a new space. When someone isn’t being pushed out but rather is being pulled toward something.
I think this kind of career move presents a different set of challenges and requires a different kind of braveness. The appeal to remain in your comfort zone is immense when there’s nothing pushing you out.
Martha Keith pivoted away from a 20-year career — away from a field of work where she’s built a name and a professional identity — and into a field of work where she started at the beginner’s level.
In this episode, we talked about her evolution, the fears and challenges she faced, the questions she asked herself and what helped her during this career transformation.
BRAVE TO PIVOT
Create your starter game plan for your career move in this 4-day training series, from January 21-24, 2019. Live on the Second Breaks Facebook page.
Mentioned in this episode
- Find out more about Martha Keith’s work here and follow her on Instagram and Facebook
- Martha’s recommdended book: The Untethered Soul by Michael Singer
- The Surrender Experiment by Michael Singer
Resources from Second Breaks
Would Love to Hear From You!
🧡 Please leave a rating/review. Reviews are hugely important because they help new people discover this podcast. If you enjoyed listening to this episode, please leave a review on iTunes. Here’s how.
💡 Share your thoughts below. What did you think about the topic we talked about in this episode?