Have you ever wondered about leaving your “stable” job and your 401K to go after a long-held dream? Here’s Amani Roberts’ courageous career journey.
Highlights of Episode 74
- What it’s like to leave a successful corporate career in Hospitality and Entertainment and pursue a career as a DJ
- Amani’s main concerns and fears when he left the corporate world and how he addressed those.
- How a career transition can surprise you and teach you things about yourself you never knew
- How Amani addressed skeptics
- How to remain creative even when working a ‘non-creative’ 9-5 corporate job
- A truly fun and unique team building experience
• • •
At some level, I can totally relate to Amani Roberts’ career story. Leaving a successful corporate job, complete with the stable salary and the 401K… to re-establish himself in a different arena.
But I didn’t follow a dream. It was never a dream of mine to do what I’m doing now. My career path evolved over time. What I do now is a reflection of my changing priorities, beliefs, and ambition.
Amani followed a dream. He has nursed this idea of being a DJ from the first moment he heard DJ Biz Markie in a club in Washington D.C. He held on to it through his education at Howard University. He kept it alive as he started a career in the Hospitality and Entertainment industry. He returned to it again and again even as he rose through the ranks at Marriott and became the Regional Director of Sales and Marketing for the company.
Intentionally moving away from an established path toward a brand new one is probably one of the most exciting and stressful things we can do in our professional lives. Amani did make that proverbial leap, and in this episode, he shares his story with us.
It may not be easier. But it is much better. — Amani “DJ AmRo” Roberts
Today, Amani — or DJ AmRo — does way more than DJing. And the best part of this episode is that he walks us through one of the things he does. He’s been able to bring his DJ mad skills and his understanding of the corporate world together so that he can lead companies and organizations through the most exciting team building exercise I’ve ever heard.
He not only describes this unique experience, but he also makes me go through it virtually. I’ve got me a DJ name! 🙂
FIGURE OUT YOUR NEXT CAREER MOVE
Take the Career Move Profile Quiz and get clear on your next career move. Your report will include your profile characteristics, ideal focus points, and areas to watch out for. Plus a complimentary Career Pivot Guide to help you get started.
Mentioned in this episode
- Amani’s book recomendations: Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid, and Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts*
Would Love to Hear From You!
🧡 Please leave a rating/review. Reviews are hugely important because they help new people discover this podcast. If you enjoyed listening to this episode, please leave a review on iTunes. Here’s how.
💡 Share your thoughts. What did you think about the topic we talked about in this episode? DM me on Instagram and let me know!