When to say ‘yes’ and when to say ‘no’; how to catch yourself when your choices limit your opportunities; creating a unique career path from your multiple interests.
Highlights of Episode 61
- Creating your unique path, especially if you have multiple interests
- Prioritization and making the time to do the things you want to do
- Mia’s season of pitching and experimentation phase
- Her process of paring things down, building pause points, and finding her through lines
- Learning to say “yes” to the right things and “no” to the wrong things
- Catching yourself
• • •
Maya is a former landscape designer who now runs two businesses: a women’s creative career coaching company, where her goal is to reduce the gender pay gap, and a social impact design consultancy.
Instead of eschewing one career path for another to make a living, Maya found a way to connect her priorities and combine her interests with a common through line, as she calls it.
In this episode, we talk about how exactly she’s done that — so if you’re someone who has multiple, seemingly disconnected ideas or interests, you want to listen to her story.
We also talk about prioritization, making time to do the things that you want to do, and empowerment—giving yourself the permission to do the things you want to do, and catching yourself when you’re about to limit your opportunities.
Mentioned in this episode
- Find out more about Mia Scharphie here
- Get Mia’s worksheet so you can find your own through lines here
- Mia’s book recommendation: Playing Big by Tara Mohr
- Daring Greatly by Brené Brown*
- Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg*
Subscribe to Second Breaks
or search for “second breaks” wherever you listen to podcasts.