The 47th | a MIXED BAG Edition
Every issue of Briefing Notes is theme-centered, except for when it’s not.😊 In the course of doing the research for this publication (and happily going down many rabbit holes), I often run into stuff I’d like to share with you. But they don’t always align with our official themes here. Hence, The Mixed Bag edition, as this one is!
- 11 memorable poems about peace. Between nations, between friends, in the family, or inner peace. Whichever meaning of peace you’re looking for, whatever peace you’re seeking, these poets have described it.
- 7 life secrets of centenarians. One in 26 baby boomers is now expected to live to 100; legions more will reach the mid-to-late 90s. Whoa. These are great secrets to live by, nonetheless.
- 20 of the most beautiful libraries in the world. Sadly, I’ve only been to one. This will definitely get added to my bucket list.
- While we’re on the subject of traveling, what coffees do they serve in Italy (and how to say them). Because one day soon, we will all be able to travel again. Italy may be on your list so best be prepared, says this coffee lover.
- Yay for Floridians. Florida votes to increase the outdated minimum wage to $15. But it won’t be overnight. Like many other states, Florida will up it to $10 next year and raising it by $1 each year until it reaches $15 in 2026. Still tho’, progress.
- A win for the gray wolves. In a historic vote last week, Coloradans give thumbs-up for gray wolves to be reintroduced west of the Rockies. Fresh off their recovery from the endangered species list too!
- How to celebrate the holidays if you’re spending them alone. Because with the state of things, this is more than just a possibility for loads of people.
- Video: Rainy Night Coffee Shop with Relaxing Jazz Music and Rain Sounds. Technically, this is an audio, not a video. But it’s on YouTube so… 😇
OVERCOME THE HABIT OF SELF-DOUBT
Are you plagued by the imposter syndrome—thinking that your accomplishments aren’t real and that you’re secretly a fraud and a failure? Do you have bad habits that are ruining your chances of achieving your goals? Does your negative past experience influence your thought patterns? If so, you’re definitely not alone.
If you want to get over these persistent problems so you can gain a new perspective and make real, positive changes in your life, this course can help you do it. Mel Robbins is one of the most sought-after motivational instructors in the world. And her popular course on CreativeLive, Break the Habit of Self-Doubt and Build Real Confidence is on ridiculous pricing special right now. You’ll want to check this out.
*P.S. This is an affiliate link.
MULL IT OVER
“Say to yourself in the kindest possible way, Look honey, all we’re going to do for now is to write a description of the river at sunrise, or the young child swimming in the pool at the club, or the first time the man sees the woman he will marry. That is all we’re going to do for now. We are just going to take this bird by bird. But we are going to finish this one short assignment.”
— Anne Lamott in Bird by Bird
REMEMBER THE TIME…
Thirty years ago this month, John Hughes’ film Home Alone, starring Macauley Culkin premiered in Chicago. Confession: I’ve never – to this day – seen this film. Who’s with me?
Season 5 of the podcast is super special for me because I get to introduce you to my role models… five of them anyway. This was the season I meant to start the year with before the pandemic took over everything. I put these conversations aside as we all tried to figure out what in the heck was happening. We are now barreling toward the holiday season and the start of the new year — for better or for worse. (For better, please. 🙏🏼) I thought it’s time to share these conversations with you. They are filled with nuggets of wisdom that really, I shouldn’t hoard! My hope is that these convos will inspire you to have similar chats with your role models too!
Here’s a short sneak peek of Season 5.
In a year of month-long weeks, we had a whopper of a month-long week last week, didn’t we?
Yeah. Talk about whip-lash moments and roller-coaster rides. Surprises and shocks. Elation and dismay. And hope.
Well, this is the year that is 2020. We will all remember this year. What we were doing and how we reacted when. What’s going to be in your highlight reel?
This Mixed Bag edition is filled (I hope) with happy or uplifting stories and news. Please enjoy it with your favorite Sunday beverage.
Here’s to a safe and sane week ahead. And as US President-Elect Joe Biden recommends, wear a mask.
P.S. If you like or find value in this newsletter and what to support it, I would be so grateful if you’d you can buy me a coffee or two. 😊