Why you want to listen to this episode
Exploring and pursuing new interests do not always have to result in a complete career change. Sometimes, you can grow a second career alongside the one that you—still—love. The key is in managing your time, your energy, and expectations—both your own and the people you work with.
My guest this week is Lisa Akers, Spaceship Builder AND Master Herbalist.
While her career in the spacecraft industry remains meaningful for her, Lisa found herself feeling burned out a few years ago, from long working hours and heavy travel.
After an ER visit where she presented with chest pain and high blood pressure, Lisa was frustrated by the lack of diagnosis that would explain all her physical symptoms. It was during that time that she met an herbalist who helped her regain her health and well-being, and who became her mentor as she embarked on her study of herbalism and autoimmune disease.
Lisa’s story would have been interesting already had she then decided to leave her first career to create a second one. But what made her story particularly interesting to me was Lisa’s decision to continue wearing her Spaceship Builder hat as she began to weave a new hat altogether.
In this episode, Lisa shares how she’s managing and enjoying both careers, how she learned to take care of herself, and the importance of setting boundaries for herself and at work.
Highlights of Episode 20:
- What triggered Lisa’s interest in chronic and auto-immune diseases and in herbal remedies
- Why she decided to build a second career instead of a career change
- The changes she’s made to her work-habits and mindset to accommodate a second career
- Recognizing boundaries and honoring those boundaries at work
- When is what you’re feeling beyond a simple need for a break or vacation
Mentioned in this episode
- SBP Episode 1: Turning a Side Hustle Into Your Main Hustle, with Shannon Davis
- SBP Episode 10: How Becoming a New Parent Can be a Catalyst for a New Career, with Alethea Cheng Fitzpatrick
- SBP Episode 17: The Benefits of Starting a Side Passion Project, with Vanessa Soto
Thank you for listening
Don’t forget to:
- Subscribe to SBP on iTunes or Google Play.
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your rating and review help me reach the people who could benefit the most from this podcast.